Enjoy Summer Treats…For LESS Calories
I love the Summertime! Love the sunshine. Love the long days of play. And I love the ice cream. Summertime is full of fun but it’s also full of high-packed sugary treats that can add up quick if you aren’t careful. Take a look at some ways you can substitute a summer favorite, for a healthier choice!
- Iced Tea for Sweet Tea. Sweet tea is packed with anywhere from 90-135 calories and 23-48 grams of sugar per serving. Swap your sugar-loaded sweet tea for unsweetened iced tea with a slice of lemon and 2 teaspoons of honey and you cut your calories down to only 20!
- Frozen Yogurt for Ice Cream. One serving of vanilla ice cream has 191 calories and 11 grams of fat. Swap non-fat, vanilla frozen yogurt for the ice cream and you will save yourself 81 calories with NO FAT! Need a topping? Slice up some summer-ripened strawberries on top for a refreshing treat!
- Juice Frozen Popsicles for Store bought Popsicles. Buying those store bought popsicles are so tempting and it’s my fall back, cool treat for my kids in the Summertime. Swapping out store bought popsicles for homemade, 100% juice popsicles saves about half the calories and virtually no added sugar!
- Fresh Fruit for Fruit Pies and Cobblers. If you have a choice between a fruit cobbler and a fruit pie at your next family reunion, go for the cobbler. Cobblers have considerably less calories and less sugar as well. Of course fresh fruit is your best choice when looking at the calories and sugar intake, but I know there is nothing like Grandma’s Apple cobbler!
- S’mores. Okay, I’ve got nothing here for ya. Go ahead and enjoy a good campfire s’more! Just enjoy one and don’t forget a good morning run the next day!
What are your favorite, healthy summer treats?